Sunday 28 January 2007

Werther's Originals.


Long weekend,3 days off. So it's a bit of Do It Yourself. Also known as bugger it up yourself. I mean how hard can it be to change a washer on a tap. I don't know, I've never done it before. Also I had to go into work even though it is a day off. I love my job but I was in such a hurry to get out of work, sorry, didn't mean that, to get home on Friday evening that I left the batteries for the camera in my bag at work. 3 days without a camera or go and get the batteries. I know I could have gone to the shop and bought 4 AA batteries but they last about 5 minutes compared with the rechargeable batteries I use. Anyway I needed a washer and Focus is right next door to the depot.


Just about to go out and the road report comes on on Radio Devon; Hele Road and Newton Road are closed due to an RTC. (1). Hele Road is just down from the depot, going to be big delays. But I need the batteries and the washer. Get to the depot, no sign of any delays. Radio Devon, or the police had exaggerated the size of the crash and the road was clear. Into work, chat with on duty drivers, coffee, more chat. Anything to put of the moment when the spanners come out and a tap comes apart in my hand with some important bit or other vanishing down the plug hole.


An hour later into Focus, so many different washers. How can there be so different sizes, thicknesses, types of materials, size of holes in the middle, descriptions of use and names. I should have taken the old washer off and brought it with me. I will next time, no; there wont be a next time. One changed tap washer in a lifetime is enough. (It comes 887th in any list of a thousand things to do before it's too late to do anything). Have a guess. Get home and get spanners out. Have a cup of coffee, switch computer on and do lesson 4,5, and 6 in Spanish for Beginners. Feed cat. Isn't he nice. When he looks at me like that it isn't love and affection he is radiating. It's "Feed me or I'll go and catch a rat, eat it and be sick all over your bed."


So the tap. It was dead simple when I finally got round to doing it, except that the washer didn't fit so I had to put the tap back together again with the old washer on and go out and buy the right sized washer, take the tap apart again and put on a washer that did fit. So now it doesn't drip. Water bill should go down about 5p a year. Doing my bit to Save the Planet.


Note 1 RTC = Road Traffic Collision. It used to be RTA; Road Traffic Accident but the police have finally reached accident in their dictionary.


Note 2 It is 00:41 so I will get round to the photo tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been there :-) In my case I ended up cleaning the ceramic washer (which made the leak worse), then replacing it (just as bad afterwards) and finally in desperation replaced the tap (>10 years old, so couldn't really complain).

Still gives you sn odd sense of accomplishment, though, knowing you didn't have to call in a professional.

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog, very good, u gave me a chuckle or two!! Satay safe on ur bus!!

Anonymous said...

Trouble is, if you don't replace the washer then the seating starts to go home and next thing you know it takes ages with a tap reseating tool, and then you STILL have to do the washer...


By the by...a tip for next time ... sometimes you can get away with simply turning the old washer over...for a little while anyway...