Wednesday 18 April 2007

Irate Would Be Passenger

To day was a fine day, warm, dry, sunny and Duty 3614. The thing I like about Duty 3614 is it only lasts 6 hours 20 mins. Nothing was going to get up my nose today. It was just too nice. Even when I turned up at the depot on Newton Road on time to change drivers so I could go and have my well earned break, I had been out driving for all of 1 hour 52 mins, and my relief driver wasn't there waiting, I didn't get upset. I just got on the radio and let control know what was happening and they sorted it out in their usual style. The relief driver turned up 7 mins late, I just smiled and went for a lie down.

Second half was almost over when a would be passenger got on in Abby Road. He wasn't irate when he got on but he very quickly became irate. Me, I just smiled all the way through the incident, it was one of those moments that makes this job so wonderful. When the passenger got on he politely informed me that his ticket was an explorer, which was a good job because he passed it in front of my face at the sort of speed boy racers go through amber lights, the world champion speed reader could not have read the details on the ticket it went by so fast. He also couldn't have read them because my hopeful passenger had his fingers over most of the ticket. Now I have never seen anyone try this trick before (well not for a week at least) so it took me about a nano second to come to the conclusion that perhaps this ticket wasn't exactly what this muppet claimed it to be. I called him back and irateness began to surface. "What do you mean? You want to see my ticket. I just showed you the f**king thing."
"Well kind sir", I smiled. "Show it me again, please." Politeness doesn't cost anything. He did. It had yesterdays date on it and it wasn't even an explorer. Just a single that most people throw away when they sit down. "That's what the bus driver gave me" he claimed. I haven't heard that one for at least two weeks. "Please sir, get off the bus." was the trigger to total irateness. Language I haven't heard for at least a month issued from from this no longer would be passenger's mouth that would have made a nun blush, unfortunately no nuns on the bus. For some reason he called me an Afgan, can't work that one out. Me I just smiled and thanked him for his kind words and as I shut the door I expressed a wish the he should, "Have a nice day." I really meant it too, I'm kind like that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear...he didn't really?

Gosh I never heard that one before!

Your driver said...

An immortal quote from a San Francisco Muni (Municipal Railway) driver: "Hey! You! You know what you are? YOU'RE A PEDESTRIAN!"

Arriva Driver said...

Afgan... lol

I wouldnt be able to keep a straight face.

Anonymous said...

They do that when they know they are in the wrong.

Talking about issuing tickets, Once I was on the bus and a young person got on and asked for a child single (the age at which you are called a child was, at least on that bus, 16) The driver asked the young person whether or not he was 18. The young person, thinking that the age for the child ticket was 18, said he was 17. The driver then informed him that he would have to pay the adult rate for ticket, which he did.

Matt

Anonymous said...

the ones who are trying to dodge the fare normally cover it up, or get abusive.
well guess what,
i've got the buses key,
ive got at least 4 hours of pay and nowwhere to go and also the button that calls the police!
if you cant get off then im sure that the other 30 people on here will help you