Monday 21 May 2007

Eye Sight Standards

Here in the UK you can take a car driving test at 17. At the start of that test the candidate is asked to read a number plate in good day light at 20.5 metres. That candidate, assuming he or she is successful with both the eye sight and the car test they can now drive for the next 53 years without any check to see if their sight is still good enough. Only if you are thinking of becoming a bus, lorry, taxi driver or a driving instructor do you have to take an actual test. Even when the driver becomes 70 they only have to state on a form that they meet the eye sight requirements, ie can read the number plate at 20.5 metres. No one calls round and holds up a number plate and says, "Read!"

Five years ago when I took my last bus licence medical I reached the required standard without using glasses. Then about 2 1/2 years ago I drove an 85 to Exeter. When I got to Exeter there were some road works effecting the route out, a diversion was in place. So I asked the controller what the route was, not knowing Exeter very well. He explained the route and said, "and when you get to the roundabout just follow the sign for Torquay."

When I got to the roundabout I had a little difficulty in the rain and street lamp dimness reading the signs for Torquay. So I made an appointment with a local optician who said glasses for distance work would be a good idea. And they were, and still are. I find driving without the glasses a bit of a strain, with the glasses, no problem.

Well today I went for another 5 year medical, which I passed, I can carry on driving up and down between Newton Abbot and Brixham for another 19 months. One of the things that the doctor checked was my eye sight and he told me that I actually reached the required standard without my glasses. This means that I didn't need to have paid my optician loads of money 2 1/2 years ago after all. But it is much easier with the glasses to see things like people at bus stops, traffic lights, bends in the road and signs directing me to Brixham and Newton Abbot.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had my eyes checked a couple of months ago. All OK no need for glasses - read the bottom line with each eye. However one thing I have noticed (and I don't think it's my eyes) is that modern cars (where the driver has taken up the option of having indicators fitted) have these clear glass covers over a coloured indicator bulb. I sometimes find these a bit difficult to see on sunny days and especially on roundabouts. Does anybody else find this?

Arriva Driver said...

Sunny days I find traffic lights, headlights and indicators an issue - when the sun is directly behind me.

Sarah said...

I would have passed the 20.5m reg plate test without glasses too. But I wouldn't dare drive without. 20.5m isn't enough to read roadsigns, stop for idiots etc...

Jimmy said...

i have to admit to a couple of judgement error when it comes to clear indicators, they are in no way as effective as the traditional yellow ones, supprised that there's not some sort of standard for visual clarity.

Anonymous said...

Further to my first comment about indicators - the problem seems to be when you view them at an angle - from right ahead they're see-able but when the vehicle is on the roundabout you're looking at them at angle of 45 degrees.

David said...

I have noticed that too, usually a second or so after I have pulled out onto a roundabout and then as the angle changes realized the car was signaling right after all.