Monday 14 May 2007

Speaking too Soon


A couple of weeks ago I made a comment on how few accidents I have seen actually happen in front of my very own eyes. Then a couple of days later I was sitting on a walk and CRASH. Right in front of me. Well yesterday I was going into Brixham, heading for the crossroads at Churston Village. There were cars in front of me and I saw a car coming towards me with a right turn signal on indicating the drivers wish to turn into the village. I slowed slightly to leave a gap between the car in front of me so the car, which by now had stopped, could make the turn. Suddenly the car started to move forward and for a second I thought the driver had changed his mind. Then I noticed that the front of the car behind had a seriously dented front end. As I continued I realised that the back of this car also had a seriously dented back end and a third car had, due to the fact that he had just run into the back of the second car, a seriously dented front end. By the time I got back from Brixham (20 Mins) the police had arrived and were busy clearing the damaged cars from the road. No ambulance so no one hurt.

Then today I was heading for Newton, just Passing Coventry Farm Industrial Estate in slow moving traffic, a cyclist had just past me on the inside when the traffic slowed to a stop. There was a bus and a 38 tonne HGV in front of me and I could not see what was happening but I assumed some one was turning right in to the estate. Then the HGV pulled out on to the right hand side of the road followed by the bus in front of me. Then I noticed that there was a car pulling a trailer with a power boat in. The car driver looked like he had pulled over to the left and the cyclist who had just past me had run into the trailer. Not quite in front of my very own eyes but close enough. The cyclist did not appear to be hurt but his bike did not look too good and he looked decidedly upset.

Some would say this is a case of speaking too soon about not seeing accidents but maybe it is just the law of averages catching up with me. If it is the law of averages; you have caught up with me; no more please.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Getting cut up by a trailer is quite scary for cyclists (me). I find it very unnerving when the bit of road I'm cycling on disappears under a long vehicle.
I think sometimes drivers forget how long they are when towing (like the Bendy-Bus drivers in Aberdeen).

Anonymous said...

Similarly with the Bendy-Bus drivers in Cardiff too....

Arriva Driver said...

Only bendy buses where I live are not intentional.

Just a lacking maintenance department.