Monday 25 June 2007

Ten Years Driving a Bus

Ten years ago to day (24 June 1997) I started driving a bus in London for CentreWest which is part of FirstBus.Yea, yea; I worked for FirstBus. I admit it now. A year later I moved down here to Torquay and have now been with Stagecoach for 9 years. In those ten years I have probably covered about a third of a million miles, not counting several trips to Australia. I will have carried about 2 thirds of a million passengers and I have had one serious accident when a Peugeot 205 did a U turn fight in front of me. Two passengers on the bus were taken to hospital for a check up but neither remained in hospital over night. There have been the odd scrape where wing mirrors have gone and little scratches have appeared on cars and the bus but apart from the bus shelter nothing too expensive. The occasional passenger has reported me for being rude but the was when I first started, now I am only rude to passengers when they have gone and only under my breath.

So what am I driving today to celebrate this mile stone. Which wonderful bus on which of the 20 or so routes I have driven on so far? None. I’m on holiday. Isn’t that nice. And I am off to sunny Spain, Barcelona to be exact, tomorrow and I will be back at the end of next week. Click here to see what the weather is doing in Barcelona and it you live in the UK, weep. If you don‘t live in the UK, we have had wall to wall rain here in the UK for the past several weeks, so much I feel like I'm leaving a sinking ship. My original plan for this holiday had been to go up to Sheigra in Scotland, looking at the forecast I am glad that plan was changed.

I will get on the internet a couple of times while I am away and down load some photos of Spanish buses, wont that be nice?

Then back to work Sunday 8 July, a day I am really looking forward to.

8 comments:

The Captain said...

You've 1 year and a bit to do before you beat my total of 11 years and 1 1/2 months before I left.

Congratulations!

If you find yourself in Lanzerote (unlikely I know) say hello to the Hippie, he's driving out there now.

Have a safe trip.

Plymothian said...

Congratulations (?)!
Have a good holiday.

Anonymous said...

enjoy your holiday dave, better to be aeay than working!! plus getting paid for it too!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...32 years and counting... nonetheless congratulations and have a nice break

Arriva Driver said...

Well done!

Im only up to 10 weeks...

Enjoy the holidays.

:-)

Anonymous said...

10 years! O_o

Enjoy Barça!

Anonymous said...

Well done David. Keep blogging and have a good holiday. Try Les Quinze Nits in Placa Reial (off La Rambla) for an excellent and cheap meal. It's a cookery school. But you have to queue because it is such good value and location.
Martin

Roses said...

Congrats. Here's to another 10 years.

By the way, thanks for being such a love when I started blogging last year.