Monday 11 June 2007

Three anoying incidents

The first little incident started when I picked up a passenger in Paignton Bus Station. He had a suit case with him and he wanted Marine Park Holiday Camp in Goodrington Road. Would I tell him when we got there. Yes. No problem. Now I have in my early days of driving a bus made this promise and forgotten so now I carry a small piece of 'BluTac' in the cash tray which I use to stick a reminded on the ticket machine. (See photo)(sorry it's not that clear but it is there next to the display screen)(click on the picture, it will get bigger). Unfortunately I was side tracked by an other passenger who, after looking at the destination board for 30 seconds came and asked if I went to Torquay. No sorry, the 12 or 12A from Stand Q at the end. But it says Torquay on the front she countered. And she was right but now we are getting into the problem of destination blinds which I did mention a few days ago and don't wish to discuss right now.

Now where were we? Oh yes it's time to go. Close doors, put hazards on press the button for reverse, press the button to confirm I want reverse, look behind the bus, nothing moving, a last look up and down the bus station, look behind again, check mirrors, release hand brake and ease up foot brake and away we go. At this moment the Mongol Hoards of Genghis Khan could turn up wanting the bus. They wouldn't get it. Not once I'm moving. (Company rule). Marine Park? Remember that place? Well I did but only when we got to Brixham, about 10 minutes after the gent who wanted the place should have got of and a little voice said,"Are we there yet?". To make matters worse, because the roads were quiet I had got to Brixham about 4 minutes earlier than scheduled and now had 10 minutes to wait before heading back to Marine Park. Never mind said our friend, I'll nip in the Bakery and get a couple of pasties for my lunch. He was very nice about the whole affair and lest upset than I was.

Then later on in the day I accepted, without noticing, this £10 note. Looks OK doesn't it. And it is. A real Bank of England printed £10 note worth ten pounds of any one's money.
Except for the fact that is type were withdrawn from service in July 2003. This has Mr C Dickens on the back. The new ones have a different Charlie on the back. Mr Darwin. Now this charlie who took the bloody thing will have to go to the Post Office tomorrow and see if they will change it for a usable tenner. I do hope so.
Then on the way home, the bus broke down.

9 comments:

Arriva Driver said...

David, your bank will change old notes for you, no questions asked.

I too cary blue tack around, but I usually stick my stage cards in that position instead!

Anonymous said...

And did you get the "Grim Reaper" tow truck?

David said...

No andy, I wasn't too far from where I normally get off so I got off and walked home.
And I managed to change the tenner at a bank in Union Street, no problemo.

Anonymous said...

What happened to the bus to cause it to break down?

David said...

Water; what else.

Anonymous said...

our paying in machines wont take old notes, or the new £20's, and copper coins!
just wait till you start getting loads of the "dodgy" pound coins.
remember it says "bus" and not "bank" on the side of your vehicle.
as for the stage remembering, our buses have info boards inside but we always give a few landmarks for people to spot before they get there (in case i forget!)

Arriva Driver said...

Our paying in machines will take everything.

Only thing they dont like are brand new notes. You have to crumple them up first and then try.

Em's way said...

Sounds like you had a real pants day !! Hope tommorow is better xx

Anonymous said...

wow are you still using them ticket machines? we havent had them in years, using the more modern wayfarer now