Monday 11 June 2007

Totnes


On Saturday I changed my duty with an other driver. I went to Totnes on the 200 service 4 times and he did my 12 service. A change is as good as a rest, they say. Except that the first half of the duty I had this shed on wheels that went up hills slightly slower than a little old lady walking home from the shops with 4 carrier bags full of the weeks shopping. Four weeks ago I had also swapped the same duty and there was a motor cycle accident. And as you can see in the photo a motor bike, a 4 wheel drive and a small car all parked up while the owners exchanged names and addresses. Now either this road is the motor cycle accident black spot for the whole of the UK or I attract motor cycle accidents. In 4 weeks time I will again swap this duty and if there is an other accident involving one (or more) of are two wheeled friends then there could be a scientific paper on the ability of a certain bus driver to attract accidents. If nothing happens then the whole thing will be forgotten.
Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny, warm day and I give fair notice that the next person to get on my bus and say,"It's too nice to work." will not enjoy the ensuing couple of minutes. I know it is too nice to work, lets face it there could be a wind blowing the started in Siberia, spent a couple of days wandering over Northern Russia gathering in as much cold as it could find followed by a quick scouring of the Scandinavian ice sheets before hurtling over the North Sea picking up hailstones the size of golf balls before blasting down the English Channel, spotting Torquay and thinking ,"That looks like a nice place to spend a few days." and it would still be too nice to work. So when the sun is shining and there is a gentle breeze blowing me in the direction of a nice pub with a quiet garden overlooking the beach I don't wont to be reminded that I have got to work thank you very much.

2 comments:

Al said...

Much like the customers who will insist on asking if I wouldn't rather be outside during the summer.

Your driver said...

"A Shed on wheels"-- I'll have to remember that one. Other faves include: Not so much a bus as a statue of a bus, it can't get out of it's own way and if this bus was any slower I'd be backing up.

A change is not as good as a rest. Most of my passengers are commuters. When they say, "Don't work too hard", I say, "Oh no. Working doesn't suit me. That's why I drive buses."