Saturday 4 August 2007

£20 notes (2) Good or Bad

Yesterday evening I was waiting time in Newton Abbot. All I had to do was drive down to the depot where some other poor fool, sorry, highly trained, well paid, motivated driver would take the bus over while I went and cashed up, went home and opened a can of beer to have with my supper. I was just about to start the engine when a couple walked by. They stopped at the entrance to the bus and the young lady asked if I could change a twenty pound note for two ten pound notes. They were on their way to a birthday party and wanted to put a tenner in with the birthday card. Obviously liked the birthday person only so much. Anyway I was happy to oblige though I did check the water mark first. As they walked of into the distance someone else boarded the bus holding a twenty pound note. He wondered if I could change it as the driver of the X39 didn't have any change. Once again a quick look at the watermark before changing the note.
As I headed down towards the depot the thought entered my head that maybe I been the double victim of a 'passing forged bank notes to idiot bus driver' scam. I've been watching too much TV. But once an idea like that gets in it stays in. Well by the time I got to the depot I jumped of the bus and almost ran all the way up to the depot so I could put the notes in the cash machine. Forgeries would come straight out again, the Queen smiling smugly. I went into the pay in room and up to the cash machine. pay number and duty numbers in followed a second later by the first twenty, it came back out. Take a deep breath, this sometimes happens even with genuine notes. By now I knew in my heart of hearts that I was a lot of beer tokens down on the day. Turned the note over, that usually works. In through the slot, couple of seconds while the electronics inside the machine has a good laugh at my expense and out it pops once more. Try the other one. That will be alright. Don’t be stupid; it too vanished into the innards of the cash machine only to reappear like a bad penny, or in this case the bad twenty pound note. Well actually two, bad twenty pound notes. Several naughty words were being spoken under my breath when one of the other drivers, who had been stood around doing nothing except watch me slowly turn pale said, “That machine’s bust. It isn’t taking notes. You have to use the other one.” Which was taking notes and of course took all my notes, fives, tens, twenties without even a hiccup.

4 comments:

Arriva Driver said...

Hahaha

You have to be careful with people doing that.

Some people fold notes up, ask for day tickets and then get off (they do it since Stagecoach day tickets are more expensive here, but do the same job, so its not uncommon).

Once we unfold, we have a fake note.

caramaena said...

Phew!

So what happens if you get a fake note? Does the company wear it? Or the driver?

Arriva Driver said...

Usually the driver gets to wear it, also gets alot of stick for being silly and not checking notes before hitting issue.

David said...

So far I have managed to avoid any dude notes. If they are offered to me folded I always unfold them before hitting issue.One time only two thirds of a ten pound note was there and the passenger wondered why I wouldn't take it. At least she didn't say, "All the other drivers take it."

Oh yes, poor sodding driver finds himself down, not Mr Souter.