Sunday 5 August 2007

Three Day Summer?

We have had some unusual weather for the last 3 days, the sun shone form morning to evening, no rain, no wind and the temperature managed to get above 25C on all three days. That makes it the driest, warmest period we have had this summer. There have been crowds on the beaches, in the shops and visiting the many attractions the Bay has to offer. Included in that we have just had the annual steam fair in Churston. Every year in the first weekend in August steam and traction engines of all share and size, but only one speed have been on display in a farmers field. Sad to say it is all over, summer that is. When I when out this evening to turn the water off(1) it was raining. Autumn has arrived early. Sad. One the subject of the Steam Rally I had a luck escape on Friday. There was a procession of about 6 or 8 steam engines big and small but all slow from Churston to the Torbay Leisure Centre at Keywest, a distance of 2 miles. But when you are travelling at 2 mph it does take an hour and hold up an awful lot of traffic including several buses. I had just gone past the field when the first engine came out. By the time I had been up to Newton and back to the Harbour where I had my meal break all the engines were safely back where they came from, the field in Churston. So compared with a lot of drivers I had an easy day. I made up for it today though. Every where I went there were people just waiting to climb aboard my bus even thought I kept telling everyone there was an other due any minute with the world's best driver in charge of it. Then I got stuck for a few minutes, parked cars on my side of the road and 5 cars coming towards me. There wasn't room for me so I stopped to let them through. $ of them came through. The 5th driver insisted on being a gentleman and flashed his light to let me go first. I flashed my light to say, no, you go, he flashed again, I lent out the window and carefully indicated that there wasn't enough room for me, he flashed his light, I waved him on. Eventually I had to drive up to him to show that the chance of getting the bus past him was about as slim as the gap. Eventually he cottoned on and went on the pavement. However there were 6 cars behind him by now and they too had to go on the pavement. It was a high pavement and they were not best pleased. % minutes all that took and I just got later and later for the rest of the day.

Foot note (1)
I have to turn the water of each evening because there is a water leak out in the road. So why switch the water off I hear South West Water ask. We have plenty of leaks, one more isn't going to make much difference. Well for some reason there is a low level roar which can be heard in the house. Turn a tap on and it stops but at £4 per cubic metre that's a bit expensive and a waste and makes even more noise that the resonating leak. So, because SWW are making too much profit to bother fixing the water main out in the street (which has burst 15 times in the last 9 years), I have to go out and turn the water off at the meter last thing at night. Then when I get up I have to go out and turn it back on again or the loo would start to smell, me to without a shower. I wonder if I can get some compensation from SWW for all this pain.

1 comment:

Plymothian said...

Compensation - SWW?
Yeah right!