Thursday 23 August 2007

Bits

The new rota changes were minor, after a sleepless night and all the worry it turned out that one duty 3615 which starts at the depot at 11:22 now starts down in the Harbour at 11:40. It is a 5 minute walk down to the Harbour against a 30 minute trek up to the depot. The down side is I usually leave my bag at the depot so the night before doing 3615 I have to take my bag home with me and my bag weighs 5kg so it is a bit of a down side. I do get to leave home 25 minutes later for work which is a plus.

An other thing I heard today is that some of the traders in Fleet St who were upset that buses continued to drive through the flood water on Monday and send waves into there shops every time they went past are getting a petition up to ask the council to ban buses form Fleet St. They can try but there simply isn't any other way round. The only other road we could use is Belgrave Road which is hotel land, expensive hotel land. Imagine buses running up and down from 6 in the morning till midnight. All the cars and coaches would have to find somewhere else to park as Belgrave Rd is quiet narrow and has a couple of awkward bends and no foot path on one side. It is just not an alternative. I do however think the company could put a bit of effort to be more user friendly to the traders in Fleet Street. There are plans to improve the lay out and make it easier for the buses and pedestrians to mix but those depend on the council finding the money some time soon.

After Monday's deluge we have had some good sunny, warm weather which look sets to continue through the Bank Holiday weekend so if you are looking for somewhere to come for an enjoyable few days by the sea give us a try.

A couple got on the bus and asked me if I went to Chelston. No, sorry you need a 32. But we were told the 12 went to Chelston. Do you mean Churston? said I. Is there a differance? Yes 10 miles and a different bus route.
They wanted Churston so they came with me..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So ... after one day when a freak rainstorm which was probably flooding their shops anyway was made slightly worse by some buses making waves, they want to ban all buses from the street altogether? Don't any of their customers come by bus?

David said...

I am sorry to say no one has rushed up to the bus and demand that I sign their petition. I would have to refuse, I find driving along Fleet Street one of the high lights of my day.