Thursday 30 August 2007

Red Arrows

Yesterday I got to work and some one mentioned the Red Arrows were going to be in, sorry over Torquay Sea Front. "What time?" asked I. "6 o'clock." A quick look at my running board confirmed that I would be taking over a bus outside the depot at 16:17 heading to Brixham. An hour to Brixham, 17:17, leave Brixham at 17:23, get to the Belgrave Hotel (a sponsor of Torquay Under Tens Rugby team) on the sea front for 18:00. Me and the Red Arrows would be on the Sea Front together. They would be able to wave to me as I drove past. So far when ever the Red arrows have been over Torquay I have been away or in deepest Newton Abbot. Today I would get to see them. Yeh right. I had forgotten that as well as me wanting to see them, thousands and thousands of other people would also be on the Sea Front at 6 o'clock and unlike me, most of them would turn up in their car and produce massive traffic queues. (Travel by bus; 90 people on a bus, 4 in a car.)



The road into Torquay is busy at 4 o’clock at the best of time and yesterday was as you would expect just that little bit worse. I sat on the wall by the bus stop for 30 minutes and watched 3 other buses and several thousand cars go by but eventually my bus arrived. An hour to Brixham, well more like an hour 15. I finally made it to Paignton Bus Station on the way back to Torquay by 20 past 6 after listening to other drivers mention in passing that the Red Arrows were over Torquay. Then they flew over Paignton just as I was unloading my passengers and I took this shot.




I finally made it through the traffic in Torquay heading for Newton, past all the crowds who were saying things like, “Wasn’t that great.” Yeh, sure. As I went out of Torquay there were lots of drivers on the radio pointing out that they should be in Torquay for their break and were still in Brixham and similar late running. I was also running late and waited for a gap in the radio noise to ask if I could miss out the last bit of my trip up to Newton but the driver of the bus behind me beat me to the gap and I ended up taking his passengers, all 5 of them as he was even later than me. Ended up 45 minutes late back at the depot but I am sure it was worth it for those who got to watch the Red Arrows.



On a slightly depressing note; I wonder how long it will be before the Global Warming people notice that the Red Arrows are sending the world’s temperature up by 0.0000001 degree C and get them banned?

2 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

Avoided it because my grandson is 6 days old and he wouldnt like the noise, and his grandma was paying us a visit (from Suffolk). It was bad enough at 2pm

Steve said...

I used to be a bit of a hangar rat a few years ago and so I've done my fair share of pulling airplanes in and out of hangars, washing and refuelling them.
Whenever I was asked what we used to make the smoke for the aerobatic displays, I never liked to tell them it was diesel oil sprayed onto the hot exhaust.