Thursday 9 August 2007

You do know what a harbour looks like don't you?


So there I was rolling along towards Torquay from Paignton. I was just about to stop at Preston Shelter when the radio blares into life. It's a driver going the other way and he has a passenger that has over ridden. Now there are two types of over riders, the first, the lowlife type who get on and buy a ticket to the next stop but one but are intending to get off at the last stop, or maybe the last stop but one. Stealing, not really from the bus company who just work out how much money they need to take in a year and adjust the fares accordingly. This takes into account the lowlife over riders actions and pushes the fares up for all those who do pay the correct fare. They should be asked to leave the bus as soon as they are spotted and the next bus driver warned that they are about. Someone trying this method to get from Torquay to Paignton and getting caught every time could end up paying about £7.00 instead of £2.05. The other kind of over rider is the person who gets on and doesn't know exactly where their stop is but doesn't like to say to the driver. Maybe their mother had a bad bus driver experience when pregnant with them and it has left a bad impression.


So they go past the stop and get miles up the road before they approach the driver and say, "Have we reached so and so yet?" If the bus is indeed miles past the stop for so and so then he will get on the radio and ask the next bus going the other way to take the passenger back and make sure they get off at their stop. So where had my over ridden passenger missed in his wild ride through Torquay. The photo gives you a slight clue. Just going off the subject for a moment, the photo was taken from the bus stop on the harbour a couple of weeks ago, it has been very sunny for the last few days. Almost summer. Anyway, my over rider. He gets on the bus and has a go at me. I didn't take him past the harbour. I pointed this out, politely of course. He then explain that when he got on in Newton Abbot, 5 miles up the road he had asked for a ticket to the harbour so why hadn't the bus driver told him he had reached the harbour you bus drivers are all the same. I politely asked the passenger didn't he know what a harbour looks like. I was told,"Don't get smart with me." the rest of the trip was covered in a stony silence. Until we got to the stop nearest the harbour on the way back. This stop, on Cary Parade is out of sight of the harbour and even though my over rider got off I don't think he believed me when I told him it was the stop for the harbour.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should have taken them back to where they started!

Anonymous said...

Hi david,

Always read your blog and think it's great. Were you waiting at Torquay Harbor on Thursday (Yesterday) at aout 1230 ish to take on a bus?

Pizza Hut Team Member said...

I have always wondered how or if, bus drivers keep tabs on where people should be getting off. Sending them back on the return bus is a good idea to discourage it, but what if they just like travelling on buses!

David said...

Sorry Gareth I had my break in Paignton yesterday and wasn't on the Harbour until about 14:30. I must have a double.

It is one of those odd little quirks that some people who intend to over ride tend to do something to draw attention to themselves when they get on, like one woman who asked if the bus went to Brixham, then bought a ticket for two stops up the road, must be nerves. We do miss more than we spot though.