Wednesday 19 September 2007

Long distance bus.

When I first started driving a bus here in Devon I spent 6 months driving round Newton Abbot. There were 3 main routes which went to Buckland, Sandygate and High Week. Each route took 12 minutes to get to the destination and 13 minutes to get back to Newton. Then 5 minutes stand time and round again, and again, and again. On a bad day, i.e. a 9 and a half hour shift you could do 17 round trips. Some people like this kind of bus driving but I am not one of them. When I first went in the office looking for a job I explained to the depot manager that I was driving a bus in London but was thinking of moving to Torquay and did he have a job for me. When he said yes my next question was, "When can I go on the 12 route?" It is a long route, it takes 2hour 45 minutes to do a complete round trip and it is only just possible to do 3 round trips a day and that is on a long duty, 2 and a half is about average and is much more to my liking. I can not be doing with up and down 15 or 17 times a day. After 2 hours and 4 trips done and 13 more to go makes for a long day. Now I came across a route to other day that take 24 weeks to do a round trip. London to Sydney, lots of stops. Never get bored with that many round trips a year.
It is run by a company called OzBus and the fare is £3750 one way, takes 12 weeks so bring a good book. The first trip left on the 16 September and the next trip is due out on the 23 September so get booking.

More info click here

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what buses they use? Hopefully not any minibuses..

Lord Hutton said...

I love the idea of Ozbus. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

You seem to have changed you blog livery! It's a nice colour scheme actually, and its easier to read than before, although the sidebar is slightly more difficult.

Plymothian said...

I read about this bus some months ago and my first thought was - what if it breaks down?

Plymothian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve said...

Just make sure you signal the driver if you want to get on, otherwise you'll be waiting a long time for the next one to come.

David said...

If the bus breaks down you transfer passengers to the next bus and wait for the fitters to arrive. Next bus is only a week behind.

Epicentre said...

Yeah,

Tried that once - waited 9 months and then 3 came together :-)