Saturday 9 February 2008

Friday 8 Feb, An Other Killer Day.

Being Friday which is always a busy day and the continued closure of the back road from Penn Inn and Rock Walk we had buses on the 12/12A route running just a bit late. A bit, what am I saying, 40 minutes isn't a bit, it's late on a biblical scale. Anyway we all got back on time by 9 pm which isn't too bad.

One little incident during the day which cheered me up a little. I was going down Fleet Street heading to Newton as a 12. Now the 12 usually does not go down Fleet Street heading for Newton but we stop if anyone puts their hand out in the approved manor ( see previous post ) and 4 passengers got on and showed me dayriders. Now I had the new destination blind up, the old one used to say in BIG letters Newton Abbot and below in smaller letters Via Paignton and Torquay. This was causing a problem as people would ask if we were going to Paignton and we would say No. They would point out that it did say so on the front. So we changed it to the one in the photo.

When I got to the top of Abbey Road the bus turned right, if it turns right it is going to Newton, left and it is heading for Paignton and Brixham. Our 4 heroes came running down the stairs demanding to know if I was going to the college and if not why not as it said South Devon College on the front when they got on. I explained that the blind had always read Newton with no sign of the College. "You changed the blind." Said one. "Why would I do that?" asked I. "To annoy us." I looked the young lady straight in the eye and asked, "Why would I want to annoy you." They got off. I drove away heading for the Newton road and hell.

And one more thing, the manhole cover has been fixed, well done Torbay Council, and as a bonus they did it on my rest day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally, I'd tell the passengers to shut up (Well maybe not), and to look at the schematic maps so generously provided at bus stops.

You can't get to Newton Abbot (logically) by going Torquay, Paignton, Newton Abbot. Anyone who knows the rough geographic layout (or anyone who looks at the map) knows this. Also, anyone who looks at a timetable.

I would have suggested NEWTON ABBOT via Paignton THEN Torquay. Would preserve Paignton and Torquay, and also help those too unfortunate to have the motivation to look at a map or timetable.

David said...

I personally would preferr to keep the destination blind shown above and have one that just says Brixham 12. Saves arriving in Paignton and having passengers (Holidaymakers)getting on to go to Torquay. Or go really high tech and have a blind that is linked to the ticket machine, once you leave Torquay for Brixham it only scrolls Paignton and not as at present, Torquay...Paignton.

Unknown said...

FirstBus recently upgraded all of their main route buses (i.e. all but the shuttle buses) in Somerset with lovely new LED Destination Boards. Very useful. However, stood in Taunton the other day I witnessed a "22" bound for "Wellington", heading out to Axminster/Yeovil on the 30 or 54 route.

With regards to bus technology, I wouldn't hold your breath