Thursday 17 April 2008

Come Hell and High Water

We had a strong Easterly wind today and high water was at 17:39. High tide and easterly wind can mean the sea front being closed at Livermead. When I drove past at 16:15 the sea was already coming over the sea wall and was expecting the road to be closed by the time I got back from Newton at 17:30. But it wasn't though I did advise passengers as we went past the Grand Hotel that if any windows were open on the seaward side of the bus now would be a good time to close them. Just in front of me there was a cyclist and he decided to dismount and cross the road. A little way a head a car was drenched by a 20 foot wave that crashed over the wall. A passenger upstairs who hadn't bothered to shut a window jumped up and shut it quite quickly. We then drove past the group of people watching the waves and hoping to see a bus swept out to sea but we got by without ending up having to use the periscope. Yes, buses do have periscopes. Bet you didn't know that.


Problem with this kind of incident is the windows get covered by a layer of salt which make it difficult to see, especially in the bright sun light. Into Paignton Bus Station and a quick rub down with a damp cloth helped a little. When I finished and was cashing up I saw a notice about ROSCO Safe Driving Awards.

Rosco is the Road Operators Safety Council and all our drivers get a certificate if they complete a calender year without having a preventable accident. It has been going since 2005, no certificate that year as I clipped a wing mirror in New Road on the way into Brixham. 2006, as you may remember I clipped a bus shelter so no certificate. 2007 was a good year so I get a certificate. No cash to go with it, but you can't have every thing. .

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If you drive through a deep puddle fast enough - the main passenger door will fail. Bet you didn't know that.

May I make a suggestion that the station manager of Paignton make a small investment...and get a garden hose from Argos?

It may be wise to keep someone around at hide tide times to give the buses a quick spray when they come in.

Would also be handy for early Saturday night revellers.

Lord Hutton said...

Congrats on the certificate! Of course you have a periscope, double deckers have had periscopes for hundreds of years. Now they have CCTV (as I discovered in Plymouth yesterday)

Dave Hill said...

We could do with that.
One of our drivers knocked down a Bus stop today reversing but i can`t tell you where because you will tell insp blakey !!!!

David said...

Yesterday I spent a little time wiping the salt off the windows so I could see the mirrors. Today I drove the same bus as yesterday. I know this not because I make notes about such things but the same area on the windows had been wiped clear so the hosepipe is a good idea.

Of course I wont tell Inspector Blaky.Bus stops are council property. Where is it and I will go and get a photo.

cogidubnus said...

Well done Dave

Dave Hill said...

Fernicombe road , Paignton