Tuesday 13 May 2008

Bus Passes or Lack of Them

Yesterday in Torquay a couple boarded the bus, the female half approached me as if I was her new best friend. This attitude didn't last however. She asked me if they needed to show their passes. "Yes," said I. Well I would wouldn't I. She changed instantly to my new worst enemy. "Well I haven't got mine," short pause, "and neither has my husband." I told her they would have to pay and she snarled ( maybe that's too stronger word but it is the closest I can get at the moment) "Paignton. Singles." and headed down the bus. Husband slapped a fiver down on the cash try which I grabbed quickly. Two single tickets for Paignton emerged from the ticket machine. "Four pounds fifty please." and carefully placed the change in the cash try and expressed a wish that they would both have a nice day.

Isn't driving a bus wonderful?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Next time, ask if they'd prefer an implant in the back of their hand to a pass.
Passengers...sorry...customers love that one

Anonymous said...

"It's ok, you're clearly many years past the age limit for pensioners passes" might've got a reaction... :)

Lord Hutton said...

I hope it wasn't because of us they hadn't got their passes

David said...

I believe they were on holiday so it is someone like you but in a different town hall.

Anonymous said...

Another twerly tale...

Lady flags down my bus in Folkestone (I'm on loan from Thanet) and first question is: what time do I make it - 9.34 (am) I say. She then informs that the bus before me had said she couldn't use her pass because it wasn't quite 9.30 yet, but her watch had said it was exactly 9.30. Bear in mind the buses are scheduled to run every 7-10 mins. I explained that all buses run to 'exactly' the same time as displayed on the ticket machines, which is set at the depot, and 9.30 is the time when passes can be accepted and that was the deal. She went off muttering and moaning and making comments to other passengers about 'drivers'. What I wanted to say was perhaps she could email the council and ask them to make the start time for passes 9.28am instead of 9.30 or we could arrange to have our ticket machines set to whatever her watch said! But I didn't, just issued her ticket and said 'thank you'.