Tuesday 3 June 2008

Glasses, PBS and Timetables.


Had a little problem in Brixham this evening with the bus. I had picked up a passenger in New Road about half a mile from the terminus at Bank Lane. Now when I got to Bank Lane all I did was put up "Sorry out of Service" and head back to the depot. But there was a bit of a leak,there was water in the cab and coming from under the bus. Not much but enough for me to get on to control and say, Help, What do I do?" Control checked with engineering and they decided it was not the radiator that was leaking but the heating system and it would be OK for me to drive back as far as Paignton Bus Station treating it tenderly. The bus could then cool down and the fueler at Paignton could check the water in the radiator and if it was OK drive it back to the depot later. This was a little bonus for me. I could pay in at Paignton and go home. It's a slightly longer bus journey but the walk once I get of the bus was much shorter. I'd be home 10 minutes early, only a little bonus, not quiet 6 numbers coming up but nice all the same.
When I got home I realised I had left my glasses in Paignton pay in room. Bugger. So I had my supper and spend a boring hour busing over to Paignton to get my glasses. I don't need them except for driving, things in the distance get a bit blurred, like people waiting at bus stops, bus stops, cars, other buses, bends, traffic lights and bus stations. With the glasses all becomes clear. Close up I don't need them, I can see clearly, read a time table no problem which brings me to the timetables above. That's our complete collection for the Torbay area including Newton. I always carry the set. Comes in handy now and then when people ask about the times of buses I don't drive; like yesterday a couple asked me the time of the bus to Exeter. A quick glance at the X46 timetable showed the last one had gone 26 minuets before. This meant getting the 12A/12C timetable out, bus to Teignmouth at 18:45 (arrive 19:18) then the number 2 (not shown here as it isn't a Torbay bus but I do have a copy) from Teignmouth at 19:45 and Exeter for 20:38. Had the passengers checked the times of the X46 they could have been on the Strand 25 minutes earlier at 17:40 they would have been in Exeter at 18:42. I have always said, reading timetables should be on the National Curriculum.
Now, I mentioned that passengers ask for times of buses now and then but the most enquires received come over the radio from other drivers, "What time is this bus or when's the last bus to so and so." I will help if I can but only if I am not actually driving at the time, it's not good for the driving licence to be reading a bus timetable while doing 40 mph round Strawberry Bends, not good for the bus either so why not get you own set, free at any Stagecoach travel shop.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

no fancy dan laser surgery for you then dave! me neither and I have 2 sets to distribute to hidden corners of the house, under the desk at work, in the car etc. i am resisting the ultimate measure of attaching a neck tie to the glasses. Probably only a matter of time though : )

Unknown said...

..well timetables ARE very difficult to read in my opinion. This is where mobile phones come in handy

bo said...

timetables difficult?
Not meanng to sound OTT but, i'm 15 and can read them, and have been able to since a younger child.
I think Stagecoach are one of the best for creating clear timetables in my opinion?

But then some struggle more than others

Anonymous said...

I have always been able to read them and I'm 15 too!

You've just got to learn. It really isn't hard.

Points where the bus goes down the side......and times next to them..!

bo said...

Yep.
I think what cofuses people is when it's simple saying the times per hour, like the "2" service which takes over an hour.
Also, on the Exeter PR2 service it says every 12 mins from about 9am through to 4pm. But it doesn't actually list the times in that time hence confusing people.

Plymothian said...

Reading and using timetables is part of the National Curriculum - it comes under mathematics.

Anonymous said...

It does, doesn't stop them phoning me at work with "what does a dash with no time mean" - First also have a tendancy to put "At Frequent Intervals"

BTW I saw the roof of what I presume is an EnviroTrident in the Yard at Exeter today

bo said...

You saw right. Although I haven't seen them first hand, everyone else has!
3 brand new 08 plated ones arrived the day before yesterday. 2 more brand new ones are expected.
They will be for the old 85a route, "2".
Only, the 3 arrived so far all have various faults so no-one knows when they will be put into service.
There are also to be 10 or 15 {either 10 or 15 can't remember} ex-manchester ones.
These were all due mid-May but are running late.

Anonymous said...

Brand new Enviro 400s in Exeter? I bet they don't make it as far south as Torquay. We'll just get the ex Manchester ones. Hopefully the Devon General Bus will make it's way to Barnstable soon. Any truth the fitters are going to fix the bells on that bus some time? People are always being taken past their stops.

bo said...

As far as i'm aware, contray to the original plans , All are for Exeter for the "2" route only.
This may of changed again but that's what i've been told.

Anonymous said...

Shame they won't be in Torbay. Apologies for asking this but I am correct in thinking that people in Roselands can get both the 12c and 12a into town as the 12C connects nicely into my train on saturdays and don't want to be told that I have to pay more or can't use the 12C! Thanks

David said...

If you are on Roselands Drive then the 12A heading away from SDC is the quickest way to Paignton. Strickly speaking the 12A going towards SDC changes at the college to a 12C and starts a new route, so new payment. We are working out these little details as they turn up.
From SDC down past White Rock the 12C is quickest to Paignton. Really the best idea is the nip in the travel shop and get a timetable.