Wednesday 4 June 2008

I Was Only Trying to Help.

There I was, waiting time in Paignton Bus Station. Driving a 12C heading for the College. There is also a 12A that goes from PBS to the college. Once they get to the college they both come back to PBS and then both head for St Marychurch. Three would be passengers board, He pushing pram with baby, she stops to pay and asks for two tickets to Borough Road. Now both the 12C and the 12A go to Borough Rd. One takes 8 minutes and apart from a couple of bends as you leave the bus station is a straight run. The other takes 27 minutes, it starts of as a straight run but ends up with lots of turns, bends stops and starts as we make right turns onto main road plus a trip through the road works in Long Rd, a tedious wait at the timing point at the College then back out through the road works (complete with temp traffic lights) then the trek through Roselands with all the bends and speed humps and parked cars and the right turn out onto the Ring Road. Slight problem, the bus that does the easy trip will be ten minutes yet. So what would you do if you were the passenger and you knew all of the above, would you wait and take the easy trip and be home in 18 minutes or would you get on my 12C and be home in 27 minutes? And what would you do if you were me? Would you explain this to the passenger. The routes are new, only a couple of weeks old. The passenger might not know the route too well. So I tried to explain that the 12A would be easier and quicker and got my head bitten off, comprehensively. Passenger she said, "OK, if you can't be bothered." and stormed of the bus, passenger he and baby followed. I mean if she had said, "Yes I know. I don't mind." I would have sold her the tickets with a smile on my face just like always and whistled a happy tune to myself. But it leaves a nasty taste, so next time someone, who might not understand the difference between the two route, gets on, do I; a) explain and either save someone the long trip round or maybe get my head bitten off again (it isn't nice, I can tell you) or; b) say nothing and not get my head bitten off, but have a passengers take the long trip round?

All those who said ;b), go and stand in the corner. I'm not like that. Thought sometimes I am tempted.

"Have a nice day."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I can get both buses back to Roselands then, the evening service on the 12A is awful otherwise!

Anonymous said...

It is always good to be nice, even if people don't always appreciate it.

UK Driving School

bo said...

How arsy of her. Some people are like that, but most people would listen to you and probably heed your advice.

Lord Hutton said...

Nowt as queer as folk

Anonymous said...

I always go for option "b" now I'm afraid.. I've had my head bitten off too many times now to want to help people out. :(