Sunday 27 July 2008

A Bit More on the Van In Teignmouth

Yesterday I mentioned the camper van parked in the loading bay in Teignmouth which brought Seaview Diner Bus Stop to a halt. Today on my way down from Teignmouth I stopped at a red light, I'm good like that, in St Marychurch. The road there is clearly marked out with two lanes, left lane goes straight on and right lane turns right. Big white arrows which are much bigger than a car number plate are painted in the road. Our hero probably thinks they are some kind of moden art. I mention the car number plate because the ability to read a car number plate at 20.5 metres while taking one's driving test is all the eyesight test a driver here in the UK ever has to undergo. Bus and Lorry drivers do have a harder test and after the age of 45 have to take this harder test every 5 years and those who continue after 65, every year. But a car or light van driver can pass a test age 17 and not be required to have an eyesight test for 53 years. Even then all they have to do is fill a form in stating that they can actually read the number plate at 20.5 metres, no one comes along and checks that they aren't exaggerating slightly when they say the can. Anyway our hero in the van came along whilst I was sat there intently watching the red light for the slightest sign that it was changing to a green light. Eventually it did. By this time the van was next to me in the right hand lane, remember, the one with the big arrows pointing right. What did he do? He went straight on, not flooring the accelerator in the fashion of a boy racer intent on getting in front of the bus no matter what but gently as if he had every right to gently but firmly push me on to the pavement. Indeed when I gave a gently hint that he was about to crash into me by blowing the horn he took not a blind bit of notice, deafness does not prevent you from driving but stupidity should.



Been very sunny and fairly warm the last few days but don't worry, it wont last.



The Strand on Saturday morning, hundreds of students heading off for a days fun at the Water Park in Goodrinton. All trying to get on one bus. Not my bus, I was going the other way.

6 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

No doubt you were bigger than the van? He would have thought again if was forced onto the other side of the road!

Anonymous said...

If the bus service to Goodrington was still being worked by Harry Blundred's bread vans, how many vehicles would they have needed to get the students there? What a retrograde step those vehicles were!

Dave said...

I wonder if it was a Kiwi on holiday? I like your photos of your region Dave. - Dave

Anonymous said...

hey m8 did ya get the email of me its adam , bwt the garage visit ?

David said...

Adam, I sent you an email by reply to the French email address. I Need to know R U over 18?

Anonymous said...

I have pulled into that bus stop many many times when I worked for stagecoach. All I can say is if the bus driver had of pulled into the stop in the correct fashion, there would of been PLENTY of room for the bus, the camper van AND traffic wanting to pass !!..
Can you tell, leaving your arse out at a bus stop is my pet hate ? ;)