Wednesday 30 July 2008

Paignton Carnival

Ten years and one week ago I started driving for the company. I drove a 12A which in those far off days went from Marychurch to Brixham during the day and in the evening ran between Paignton and Torquay. A week after I started and I had only been living in Torquay for two weeks the Paignton Carnival was held. I read the diversion route with some trepidation. The names of the roads were unknown to me. I only just knew the route by this time and to head of into deepest, darkest Paignton in a double decker bus was not something I was looking forward to. My first trip from Paignton once the roads were closed and the diversion was in place took me to places I had never heard of let alone knew. My second trip out of Paignton started about 2 minutes after the controller announced that 'All roads have been reopened. Return to normal line of route.' Good, except no one had told the policeman at the barrier round the corner and he sent me of into deepest, darkest Paignton once again to spend an hour looking at tree lined roads and wondering how many windows (none) I would smash and if I would return to my loved ones ever again. Some of the roads I travelled on I have never been back to as every year since I have either not been working or have just missed the start and not got back from Newton until the carnival was over and the roads reopened. So this morning when I went in to work and saw the notice explaining the diversion I had a quick look at my running board. Diversion to start at 19:00 sharp, where was I at 19:00. Ain't I the lucky one? I would be in Newton Abbot, as far from Paignton as it is possible to get. And I finished at the depot so would not go anywhere near Paignton. I would just have to listen to the fun on the radio.

Well the 'fun' started at 18:50 when one of the drivers reported that Torbay Council road workers were erecting temporary traffic lights on the Dartmouth Road near the Corner Surgery, right on our diversion route. Now wasn't that a wonderful idea? Next thing was even better. The police normally let us know a few minutes before the roads get closed that they are closing the road so the controller can tell all buses that they must now used the diversion route. Remember the roads weren't to be closed until 7pm. One of our number 12s left the bus station in Paignton heading hopefully for Torquay with lots of passengers. Then he gets to the bottom of Palace Road and there is a barrier across the road and he ends up having to turn into Palace Road even though there is no way out for a double decker. And I was in Newton listening to this and it was definitely pre 19:00. A lot of swinging round and reversing and frantic radio messages later the stranded driver was still stranded behind an immovable barrier, reported that the passengers had abandoned the bus and were walking back to the bus station ( fortunately not very far) to catch an other bus to Torquay. By this time I was back at the depot signing off so any other little bits of ' fun' similar to the above will no doubt be related to me tomorrow. And related here tomorrow evening.

7 comments:

Dave said...

Sounds like diversions are fun! - Dave

Anonymous said...

how does the traffic compare now to ten years ago?

David said...

It's about the same, we get the same time now to complete a trip as we did then and we still manage, just. Some days are worse than others. One thing that has got better is parking. We now have NCP enforcing the regulations and they do a better job that the former police run traffic wardens ever did.

David said...

Adam, email me re Sunday.

Anonymous said...

ok we are goin up paignton this weekend though

Lord Hutton said...

Sounds like my colleagues need to be a little more aware of bus route diversions

Plymothian said...

Hmm, am supposed to be going to Torquay tomorrow, the only traffic I've ever encountered is Kingskerswell's perma-congestion. Might not be so lucky this time.