Sunday 22 February 2009

More From Oz

Since the failed attempt to get to the top of Mount Warning it has been a busy week, some of it spent watching the rain tipple down but some spent on little trips. One such trip was to the Best of All Lookouts. I have been there 3 times before, the first time was in my pre digital camera days and all I had was a throwaway camera, great for shots of people but not much use for a view that took in Coolangatta in the east, Byron Bay 40 miles to the south and round to the reason for this great view, Mt Warning in the west. Trip 2 and 3, both with my digital camera with which I took great shots of the inside of a cloud. So one day when I got up and there wasn't a cloud in the sky I headed for the lookout. It's a bit of a climb to the lookout and there were clouds coming in from the north so a few anxious moment but I got there in time before the big thick black cloud arrived. It was a bit hazy but it was still a breath taking view.
After the Best Lookout we went to the Springbrook National Park, Canyon Look out. I have been here before but there wasn’t as much water coming over the cliff and the trees didn’t look as green, it has rained a lot this week.

When I was here in 2007 my sister pointed out one rainy day that the drain pipe next to her house was blocked. There was a large lake in front of her house to help make the point. So I spent a day removing large amounts of dirt from the 30 foot pipe. Now as you can see the water flows through without let or hindrance and the local family of ducks enjoy walking through the rushing water. So far I haven’t noticed any of them going for a white water ride.
An other visitor is the Green Frog. He sits on the rail hoping to catch the old insect drawn to the nearby light. I haven’t seen him actually catch anything but I suppose he/she must otherwise he would not look quite so happy. The frog used to sit there when I was here in 2007. We do have a little conversation each evening, I say “Hello little green frog.” The frog says nothing, shy I expect.



Today there was a Memorial Service in Melbourne for the victims of the Bush Fires in Victoria. Princess Anne was there representing Britain.

3 comments:

Steve said...

My first experience of green tree frogs was back in '73 when we first emmigrated. Back then it wasn't unusual to find them in your toilet bowl. Think big sticky fingers on your bare bum.

We dont see many of them these days. They're considered an indicator of the state of the environment, so there's much celebration on the rare occasion we get one in the yard, or even hear one croaking.

Lord Hutton said...

Cute! I want one!

Dave said...

Glad you are getting out and about there in Oz Dave. Certainly warmer too than UK. - Dave