Monday 9 March 2009

Fire

We had a big fire in Torquay last night. A derelict hotel, The Dorchester, in the Meatfoot area of the Bay went up in flames. The fire started about 8:30 in the evening and at the height of the blaze fire fighters from all over South Devon were at the scene. Me, I was watching TV and knew nothing at all about it until I turned on the computer this morning and read all about it. So I decided to walk up and have a look. Here is a photo of the building.Four fire engines were still at the scene and parts of the building are still smoking. Also if you click on this link it will take you to the story in the local paper. A lot of readers have left comments, some blaming the local council for preventing the redevelopment of the site when the hotel closed a few years ago.
One thing about this incident is the fact that though I have lived in Torquay for over 10 years now I have never, until today been up to this part of the Bay. Some interesting views of the coast and I will get up there again when the sun is shining even though it is a hard uphill slog in parts. I used to claim I knew all of Torquay provided it was on the number 12 route. Now I have the time I must look about my home town in a bit more detail.


Not quiet the North Face of the Eiger but still a hard slog, a run up here every day will get me fit for my attempt on Mt Warning in 2011.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave why didn't you get the bus up there, would have saved the walk, dail-a-bus 61-62 or stagecoach 111 would have got you near