Tuesday 10 March 2009

Scaffolding in Fleet Street

I took this photo (above) on the 9 Jan just before I went away. I was slightly surprised when I got home and found the scaffolding wasn't complete. But maybe the snow, the wind, the rain, the ice, the winter had held up work some what.

These two photos were taken in Fleet Street one today and one 8 days ago. Not much has change in this short time span, which to my mind is a little bit of a problem because while the scaffolding has enlarged a fair bit since Jan, when the work started, was incomplete 8 days a go and it is still just as incomplete now. Have RC Scaffolding of Exeter run out of scaffold poles or what? Exactly what the 'or what' part of that question in this grim financial period we are all stumbling through I will leave to your imagination. But it does not look good. Scaffold firms like to get in, get the scaffold up and move out and let the contractor get on with his work. Which in this case is making sure lumps of the building don't fall on passers by, as I am an occasional passer by I have a vested interest here. But with the scaffold incomplete the contractors can't come in and make the world a safer place for you and me. So how long will we be dodging amongst the poles that have already been planted. Any bets on summer, by which time the work on Rock Walk should be finished. Any chance the safely barrier there might come down once Vertical Technologies have finished making the cliff face safe for generations yet to come. It would be nice to get rid of that Big Blue Wall that runs along the base of the cliff. I'll probably get a letter some time in the summer from the council telling me the Big Blue Wall is going. Then when I get down there I discover the Wall's been painted red, just for a change,

No comments: