Thursday 5 March 2009

OK. One last blast from the Opera House.

And a little look at Woy Woy and a vicious pelican.
Woy Woy is a small town between Newcastle and Sydney and there I was attacked by this pelican. I was sitting in the shade of a tree trying to decide if I could make the 20 metres to the shade of the Fisherman's Wharf where a fish and chip lunch awaited me. The above pelican appeared and I decided to take a photo. I mean I had never been this close to such a big bird before. With the pelican only a couple of metres away I put my hand in my bag to get the camera. Pelican decided I was putting my hand in bag to take out some food. When your dentist says, "Open wide." you might open a 7 or 8 cms at most. When a pelican opens wide we are talking a metre or so, enough to rip me apart from groin to gob. I desperately and ineffectually waved my camera and gasped, "Shoo." but the pelican was having none of that, it wanted food. Was the last picture I ever took to be me vanishing down this feathered 'Jaws' throat? Then a 4 year old child save my life, or at least my dignity, there were about a hundred people sat around watching this display, waiting for blood no doubt. He, the child just came running up, arms spread wide and screamed. The pelican ran for the sea, I was saved. So I went and had some fish and chips and noticed this.
Pity the pelicans can't read. There were still people feeding them though bits of fish and chips, not bits of hand or other body parts.
Back on the train I heard the guard announce that passengers for Wodabyne must travel in the back coach and let him know they wanted to get off and I wondered why. Is this the shortest platform in Oz? If no one want to get of or on the train doesn't stop.

On all the photos of the Opera House it always looks like one big building but it is actually 3 small buildings.
Photo Album of more Oz photos will appear some time soon. I have been fairly busy since I got back, shivering mostly.



4 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

Whenever I try to take a picture of a bird, they always fly off when I even think about getting my camera out. Sounds like a good use for a 4 year old, though.

Anonymous said...

The seagulls are still there then. Bu***rs. You can't get away from them!

Steve said...

Friends of ours from Pelican and Seabird Rescue catch them by putting a piece of fish on the back of the hand. When the pelican take the fish they just grab them by the bottom of the bill. The bill isn't very strong and won't hurt if they bite, but you have to watch out for that hook on the end.

Anonymous said...

That's actually pretty funny because I remember this one time I went on a family vacation and on this family vacation while being in San Francisco I took a steady picture of a seagull that was simply standing still. And right before I took the picture Mr. Seagull here decided to spread its wings and take off! But... Little did the bird know I took probably the nicest picture in the world of the seagull in mid air with wings completely expanded in mid flight. Sounds cool ey?? :)