Friday 6 March 2009

Rugby

While I was away the Under 11s rugby team, supported by Stagecoach Devon played 4 games won 3 and drew one. last Sunday they beat Totnes by 52 pts to nil but I didn't get home until 2 hours after the match had ended. The boys didn't have a particularly good start to the season losing several games in a row but all the hard work they and the coaching staff have put in seems to be paying off. They have a home game on Sunday against Newton Abbot. I will be there but so will strong winds and blustery showers. Welcome back to winter sports in the UK.
Meanwhile here in Torquay more shops have closed down including the Pound Shop in Union Square. If you have any spare cash please come to Torquay and spend it. Now. Please, before the whole place shuts down.



Scaffolding has gone up in Fleet Street so much needed work can be done on the shop fronts there. Last year a lump of concrete came loose and fell into the street. The Romans built concrete structures and some of them are still standing 2000 years later. How come modern builders can't manage to make their concrete last as long. In Burnie ( 4th largest town in Tasmania) there is a concrete building there that is dropping bits of it's self on passers by so this problem isn't confined to the UK. And when you consider the number of concrete building dotted around our town centres I watch your head if I were you.

Burnie, the main car park.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I heard the other day that the building I used to work in dropped a pane of glass onto the the street below and closed it off for a while. It needs to pick its act up, the previous building I worked in dropped at least three panes while I was there, plus someone jumped off the roof.

There were lots of pieces of rubble around when I was in Rome last year, but none of it looked recent. There's a lesson there.

Anonymous said...

Ah but - the Romans didn't make the mistake of leaving the concrete exposed to the ravages of the elements. I think you'll find most Roman structures in Britain were faced with limestone.

Mind you, there wouldn't be much of the Penines left if we adopted the same practise.