Thursday 26 April 2007

Miracle Cure?

I was waiting at the lights in Brixham when a passengers came up to me and announced that he had just found a walking stick on the back seat of the bus. Two seconds later the controller in Paignton asked all 12/12A drivers to check their bus for a walking stick. The passenger was waiting in Paignton to be reunited with the stick. I was a 12A and as such would take me 45 mins to get back to Paignton. There was a 12 in front of me on the stop in Brixham and he would only take 20 to get to Paignton so I past the walking stick on like a relay runner passing on the baton.

Question is, how did the gent, who needed the stick to get on the bus manage to get of the bus without it.

Are our buses the scene of a Miracle? Will crowds flock down to the West Country in the hope of a cure?
Will we cope?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That particular "cure" isn't that uncommon in Sussex either but I'm afraid I can top you...we found an artificial leg on the bus once! It was never claimed either...

(heh heh heh)

Anonymous said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6183085.stm
Follow the link and you'll find some of the random things left on the Stagecoach buses in South Wales! A cello and a glass eye included.....

Anonymous said...

When we moved from Hampshire to the Southwest four years ago, my partner, a nurse commented that Devon and Cornwall must have a "Walking-stick mountain", judging from the number of people carrying, but not, apparantly, using them.....

Anonymous said...

I have some difficulty walking on uneven surfaces, steep slopes and stairs.

I try not to carry a stick, but on the occasions that I do carry one, I find people are patient and helpful, while when I do not, I am pushed and rushed.

Even restaurant waiters, showing me to a table, have two speeds, depending on if I have a stick in my hand.

Perhaps many others have found that having a stick in the hand acts as a kind of badge.....

Otherwise, they are handy for self defence too!

Anonymous said...

I've had a pushchair left on the bus before. They carried the baby off and completely forgot the pushchair!

Anonymous said...

walking sticks are the sympathy votes around here. and we had a toddler left on a bus - nanny took the pushchair, mum got off, little jimmy didnt. all reunited 3 stops down the road..