Monday 18 June 2007

Totnes


A few weeks ago I got told off by a passenger. Happens now and then but this wasn't the usual thing like going past her stop or vastly overcharging her (I can't help the cost of bus travel), or driving badly (I don't do that), or even singing as I drive along (I sometimes do that).
What happened was she asked me if the shops in Totnes were open on a Sunday. I had to admit that I didn't know as I had never been to Totnes. As we were in Totnes at the time on a 200 service this excuse seemed a little lame. However she understood what I meant and suggested that I one day go to Totnes without my bus and have a look round.
So yesterday, Sunday, I decided to have a look at the place. Now on a week day there are several buses run by the company that will take you to Totnes but on a Sunday there is only the X80 run by FirstBus. We can use our staff passes on FirstBus but in view of the state of war( sorry war is a bit too strong to describe the situation, more a flexing of muscles, a gentle beating of swords on shields, a checking that all the nuclear missiles are armed and ready and the sign posts directing civilians to the fall out shelters are all in place) that is about to erupt between the two companies at the moment with FirstBus putting extra buses between Torquay and Paignton and Stagecoach running a service to Plymouth in opposition to the X80 I boarded the FirstBus a little unsure as to whether I would get the free ride I was hoping for. Well I needn't have worried, but I wonder if this state of affairs will last. Anyway I can confirm that the shops are closed in Totnes on a Sunday but it does have a few pubs, one of which I visited for a little while.

2 comments:

Roses said...

I've been camping in a field outside of Totnes...it was damp.

I haven't repeated the experience.

James Devon Bus Man said...

In thoery there is a recipricol arrangement dating back to the days of the National Bus Company that neither First or Stagecoach can back down with regard to the use of staff passes on each others services, however, the way things are going who knows!! :-)